A central air conditioning system offers many advantages over conventional air conditioning systems. Undoubtedly, central air is one of the most effective and efficient ways to circulate cool air throughout the house in comparison to window air conditioning systems. However, central air conditioners offer one major benefit that individual window units cannot claim: these systems can improve your indoor air quality.
Centralized units send cool air directly through air ducts or vents located in each room. Each room can be cooled instead of cooling just one room. Ambient air is pulled into the air handler unit from each room through return-air ducts. The system filters the air that passes through it, removing airborne particles, like lint, and allergens, like dust, pollen and pet dander.This improves your indoor air quality.
Filtered air is then re-routed back to the rooms via a separate ductwork system. These systems can even trap the most microscopic pollutants. Obviously, more expensive filters can capture more pollutants and increase the air quality in the home.
But the advantages don’t end there. These are other benefits that central air conditioners have over window air conditioning systems.
- Central air conditioners make less noise. The condenser, fan and compressor are located in an outdoor unit, instead of in a nearby window. Indoor noise is barely detectable.
- Since the working parts are located outside of the home, it is inconspicuous and does not affect the view from outside or within the home.
- A central air system does not take up any inside space and keeps the home looking modern and updated. You won’t need ugly window units in different rooms.
- Central air conditioners are easy to operate. Whether there is a single zone or multiple zones, the system is conveniently controlled by a simple console that can be programmed to run at certain times and temperatures.
- Cool air is spread throughout the home, rather then being limited to single areas or rooms.
- It is possible for specialized central air conditioners to operate in a reversed cycle (aka – Heat Pump), to not only cool air, but also pump out hot air. The same system can heat and cool the home in one user-friendly unit.
The upfront costs of central air conditioners may be intimidating, but in the end, the payoff is worth the expense. All across the Hudson Valley, in new housing communities where we’ve installed systems, like in Marlboro, Wappingers Falls and Beacon, central air conditioners are the building standard. These systems will provide homeowners with many years of comfort. And as a major bonus, central air conditioners add value to the home, which means when it comes to resale, these systems will be a huge selling feature.